Saturday, June 2, 2007

Google Opens A Window Into Your Personal Life

I just read some news articles questioning the newly added "Street View" to Google Maps. Some people are asking whether it makes public what most people would consider private. Now what do I have to say about this? First, the pictures are taken in public, so everything in them is public, not private. People are whining that the pictures let you see into people's houses, and people's actions on the streets, and other "private" things, such as license plate numbers, etc. Now if you don't want people looking at this stuff you can request that it be taken off by simply asking Google. Or you could simply close your blinds, or not do stupid things in public, like pick your nose. Who cares if they are pictures. I could walk through San Francisco or New York and see into people's houses or people picking there noses or scratching their butts. Are pictures really worse than in person? As for the license plates, those have never been public. I could just as soon pick a license plate number while driving and see who it belongs to as I could pick a license plate from a picture and do the same; anyone could. People don't really ever think about what really is public, until it is made "public". What's your take on this so-called "invasion of privacy"?

4 comments:

llongoriao said...

Interesting points. I agree with you. I see more PRIVATE stuff also out in the real world.
If the liberals of the world want to whine & complain about the google map, we might as well outlaw cameras and camcorders. People take pictures from all over the world and can get a photo of someone in it or someone doing something without realizing it or caring.

Graham Ettridge said...

Quite topical for me at the moment. I am only now truly discovering the full functionality of google maps. I agree with your article with the fact there is nothing on the net that you couldn't find when walking around the streets.

I am a keen traveller and have just spent the past few days setting up my first blog page - http://grahamettridge.blogspot.com - and have also been mapping all of my journeys onto my own personal google-map.

The fact that these things are made available to us is eductaional, fun and quite frankly a good thing!

My opinion is, if one is afraid of being seen doing something that one shouldn't be doing - then don't do it!

I look forward to returning to your site in the future and reading more.

You are also welcome to visit and browse my site and leave a comment

Happy Blogging!!

NAZEER V S said...

your points are quite true but google mapping poses some threats to a country's strategic points considering the threats of terrorists....

AZZITIZZ said...

What's all the hoo-har, there are cameras everywhere! Haven't these people realised, they have been here for ages! Roads, Towns, Pubs, you can't go anywhere without being filmed, so stop pickin your nose (saw ya!) and leave Google alone! P.S. Not keen on your front room carpet doesn't match your decor.
Google fan.

http://www.thetotallytransparentparty.blogspot.com