Sunday, June 3, 2007

A Different Look on Life

First off let me say that I am not trying to say that anyone's beliefs are right or wrong. That may be what it sounds like, but it is not my intention.

This is something that has been on my mind for a long time, but I've never written it down or talked to anyone about it.

I grew up in a very religious household. All my family members on both sides of my family are Christians (Mennonite) and I've had friends of many different religions. After numerous years though, I've always thought "what makes this religion 'correct'"? There are millions of Christians that think that Christianity is the only religion, and it is the "correct" religion. But what about the Islamists, or the Hindus, or the Buddhists (yes, they all exist in America)? Each has millions, even billions of people worldwide that follow each faith. Why can't they be "correct"? The Dali Lama, or the thousands of Hindu and Buddhists monks all live very spiritual lives, but they aren't Christians. Does that mean that they are going to be damned to hell, regardless of the fact that they devoted their lives to a religion that they thought to be true?
My sister, who is also a Christian, has a friend who is Mormon. She asked that friend to tell her about Mormonism, which she did. When that friend told some other fellow Mormons at her church about the little lesson, they seemed delighted and asked when she was going to convert. Even this shocked her a little bit.
That example was not meant to say that Mormons are bad people, because they aren't. I simply used it to show that some people only believe there is one way. Now I'm not trying to suggest that there is a one and only true religion. Perhaps there is and perhaps there isn't. But what if what makes you happy, is "correct"?
What do you think?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nines times out of ten, people are taught to follow the religion that there parents follow. Since this happens from a young age, most people grow up and never question it. I don't think people can be "blamed" for their beliefs, even if they are not "correct". In reality, if your religion keeps you happy and health, and you are tolerant of others, it shouldn't matter.

Unknown said...

Religions... The can't all be right, but they can all be wrong. Which is why I put my faith in beer and old-school rock and metal a long time ago. Anyways, nice job with the writing and all...

Nycnontheist said...

Kurt, I'm really glad you stopped by my blog, The Atheist Diaries, http://theatheistdiaries.blogspot.com. Did you read my post "The Opiate Of The People"? Well there is soooo much I want to tell you about these religions, but not enough space or time. You should really come by our blog often, and it will help open your mind to what religions do to people.!

-Valerie (Like your site!!)

Nycnontheist said...

Hi Kurt, I just wanted to let you know that we now have an e-mail subscription service plus a subscriber feed, so if you're interested, please come by. It's: http://theatheistdiaries.blogspot.com.

Your friend,

Valerie

AZZITIZZ said...

Religion....
If people want to believe then fine, if they don't, then fine, but no-one should force their religion on another.
I don't care either way, I'm off to Hell, see you down there?
http://thetotallytransparentparty.blogspot.com